Phase I: Get the phone number and set up for next contacting.
Step 1: Make your list as comprehensive as possible. Everyone gets on the list. If they are negative, put them on the list. If you hate them, put them on the list. Think about everything, every organization you’ve been involved in, every group you’ve ever been a part of, everything you’ve ever done. As you empty your mind on paper, it will make room for new contacts to find room in there.
Step 2: Look at the list and think about the people they know. Who do they know? Add them to your list.
Step 3: Constantly expand your list. Add at least two new people to your list everyday. Raise your awareness and add them to your list. Make friends, develop a connection, and when the time is right, you can help them understand what you have to offer.
Step 4: Network on purpose.
- Get out there. Have some fun. Join a new gym. Have fun with a new hobby. Volunteer for a cause. Join an organization.
- Take every person you meet, get their contact info and find a creative way to stay in touch.
How to network like a pro?
1) Playing host: If you are nervous at a network event, play host!
2) Ask open-ended questions to let the other person talk:
- Is this your first time attending this event?
- Did you have to drive a long way to come here?
- What do you do for a living?
- How did you get into that industry?
- Who is your ideal client?
- What type of people you are looking for ?
Wrap the facts in a story: Point out the pain, agitate the pain and what you do to provide a solution.
4) Document the facts: As soon as you part with the person, write down at least three facts about him/her.
5) Left Pocket, Right Pocket system: Left pocket for 2-3 people’s cards who you are going to follow up in the next 24 hours; Right pocket for a couple of people you are going to follow up in 72 hours. Once you have 2-3 cards in each pocket, you can go home or hide in the corner.
6) Follow up: come up with a give, especially the first follow-up. A give can be an article that may help the other person; or contact info of a CPA/dentist/guitar teacher etc…